正气天地博客网

2009年2月20日星期五

Elizabeth Wong goes abroad to rest

Published: Thursday February 19, 2009 MYT 4:33:00 PM
Elizabeth Wong goes abroad to rest
By AI CHUN

The Star reports:
PETALING JAYA: Bukit Lanjan assemblyman Elizabeth Wong, who described the furore over her scandalous photographs as the ‘darkest episode’ in her life, has gone overseas.

In a press statement on Wednesday, Wong said she had never felt so alone, vulnerable and humiliated since the scandal broke out.

“Despite having tendered my resignation from all posts, the media and websites continue to intrude into my private life and privacy.

“I have been informed by several media that they will continue to publish even more lewd graphical, sensational stories of my private life.

“I have also been told there will be a fresh assault, with more photographs and videos released and circulated in order to completely degrade and bury me,” she said in an e-mail on Thursday.

She stated that public discussions should not be focused on her but on more important issues such as the coming serious economic recession that would be faced by the nation.

“Unemployment is rising, while corruption remains rampant. I wish public discussions would concentrate on these important issues rather than analysing my private life. My principles remains the same.

“I will not answer any question pertaining to my private life. My private life is not for public scrutiny as I have not broken any law or caused harm to anyone,” she said.

Wong said she had left the country as she needed to rest and to search for peace of mind and to get away from “the stormy events” surrounding her.

“I plead to the media as well as my supporters to allow me some peace of mind, and to give me space. I urge the media to leave my family, friends and I alone.

“Please do not continue to shame my family and I, so that we have a chance to lead a normal life as ordinary citizens,” she said.

Wong said she had informed her party leaders that she is determined to relinquish all her positions, as a state exco member and as well as Bukit Lanjan state assemblyman.

“My commitment to the ideals of the Parti Keadilan Rakyat remains unwavering. I shall retain my party membership and continue to struggle for a just society with the party,” she said.

Wong also thanked her voters, women in particular, and party comrades for their overwhelming support and ‘gentle kindness’.

“There is nothing in this world that can repay your kindness,” she said

没有评论:

发表评论